About the Church
St. Paschal Baylon Catholic Church was established on October 1, 1957, by His Eminence James C. Cardinal McGuigan, Archbishop of Toronto.
The Most Rev. Francis A. Marrocco, Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto and pastor of St. Edward’s Parish realized there was a great need for a new parish because of the growth of Italian and other ethnic families moving into the areas.
Two priests form the Society of St. Charles were assigned, Fr. Vincent Lo Savio as pastor and Fr. Ralph Villella as assistant pastor, both fluent in English and Italian.
A house on Meadowview Avenue was rented The first Mass was celebrated on October 27, 1957, Feast of Christ the King, at the North York Veterans’ Hall, just south of Steeles Avenue on Yonge Street. On weekdays, Mass was celebrated in that house. For eight months, baptisms, weddings and funerals took place at St. Edward’s Church. In April of 1958, eight months after the Parish was established, the site of the new church was purchased.
The ground breaking ceremony took place in May 1959. On Sunday December 20, 1959, about 1000 people attended the inauguration of the new Church by His Eminence James C. Cardinal McGuigan.
On October 1, 1966, Fr. Lo Savio, the first pastor of St. Paschal church, was transferred to New England States. And Fr. Ralph Villella was appointed pastor. In October 1967 Fr. Lo Savio was invited back to take part in the 10th Anniversary Celebration and on this occasion, he was presented with a bronze plaque placed in the entrance of the Church which reads” “On this, the 10th Anniversary of the Founding of St. Paschal Baylon Parish, this plaque is dedicated to its first pastor Reverend Vincent Lo Savio, of the Missionary Fathers of St. Charles, and to all those pioneer priests and parishioners who, by their sacrifices, made this Church a reality. October 30 1967.A.D.”
Fr. Ralph Villella remained pastor until October 1973.
On December 29, 1978, the parishioners of St. Paschal’s were grieved to learn of the death of their Founder, Fr. Vincent Lo Savio.
The Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament has been continuously present in the Chapel. Thanks to the inspiration of Fr. Francis Geremia, CS and the active participation of Adorers, who spend one hour with Jesus, day and night.
The Chapel is open to anybody for personal and silent prayer, from 5 in the morning to 11 at night. During the night hours ONLY assigned adorers are allowed in the room.